Re login to all files

This topic is 4308 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying the separation idea. I have interface file and data file. I create instances of the data tables in the interface graph. I create layout based upon these 'data tables' in interface and I put fields from data file onto it. I have set up the data file identical in privileges and I know it is identical because it is actually copy of same file as interface.

If logged in to interface as person with restricted privileges, I cannot change fields which is correct. But if I relogin as me with full access the fields all say I do not have rights to change them. The data file is not changing the credentials.

So I must somehow run the relogin in both or any files all at once? I have searched and I do not see how to handle a relogin once inside the file to force all files to match. It seems that when file is first opened, it opens the other file with same privileges so it is only once I am inside the file and want to re login that is problem.

I considered just including going to the other file and scripting it there also but I thought I should check first on right way. How is this normally handled please?

David,

Add a "Close File[ datafile]" to your relogin script just before you insert the new credentials. That way filemaker will open the file when you hit the data layout with the credentials of the new user.

HTH,

Tim

BTW, have your relogin script change the layout to one based on the interface file before you do the above.

• Like 2

Fast and accurate response. Thank you very much, Tim. I really appreciate the help. That worked perfectly. :grin:

oh, what I did was just add Close File (the data file) at end of relogin script. And since there are data fields on opening layout, the data file seems to open again automatically and then with the right credentials of the file already opened. I hope I understand this properly. Not sure what you meant by closing the file 'before you insert the new credentials' so please speak up if I messed it up.

I added to the post.

Edited by David Nelson

David,

Add a "Close File[ datafile]" to your relogin script just before you insert the new credentials. That way filemaker will open the file when you hit the data layout with the credentials of the new user.

HTH,

Tim

BTW, have your relogin script change the layout to one based on the interface file before you do the above.

Great tip, thanks for posting.

This topic is 4308 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.