Connection Error to MirrorSync Server

This topic is 4302 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am making my second attempt to set up MirrorSync.

I cannot connect to the MirrorSync Server using the external IP Address. I get an error. It will connect using the local IP Address. Which is what I used for my first attempt. The setup went fine but then ran into trouble with errors not being able to find the MirrorSync Layout. I am assuming because I used the local IP Address during the setup.

Any thoughts?

post-106983-0-16350900-1341510033_thumb.

Hi - currently MirrorSync can only be configured from the same LAN as where the server is running. I am working on an update that should be out sometime next week that will allow configuration to an external IP address.

I'm getting the same dialog but with an internal IP address. The server is a Windows 2008 R2 Standard (VM) and I'm accessing it from a Windows XP machine. Everything in the installation until here (FM Server installation, CodeMirror installation, start up of config tool via Java Webstart worked fine).

Is there any other way I can try to get past this? Should I use a name instead of IP address?

BTW one other thing that I considered is if the config tool uses a different port than the standard web / https ports because the Server is configured only to let web traffic and UDP through (the latter for getting FM Go to be able to access the server) if the tool uses any other port than that is probably the reason why it doesn't work.

Thanks

@Jesse, reading your post again I was wondering if we can use/test MirrorSync at all at the moment because the instructions state that the server address used here should be the one used later on by the sync clients because it will be baked into the script. In our case that will always be over an external IP (ie. over the Internet and not the LAN). In your post you state that MirrorSync cannot handle these external IP addresses at the moment. Or do I misunderstand your post and is it only a problem with external IP's and not with public host names?

To me it does sound a bit odd that I configure using an admin account but have to specify the public host name because that is what gets baked into the script for the sync clients. I would think a common scenario would be to configure using an internal IP and let the admin specify separately the IP/host name to be baked into the script.

Wrt the above error message. I tried to start the config tool from a browser on the server and that worked fine, alas I cannot use that because then "localhost" would be inside the script.

Hello Marc - yes, MirrorSync config utility does work on ports other than 80, so your firewall is preventing access. That's why it's not working for you unless you are running it on the same machine as the server. I am working on an update that will be released some time this week (hopefully tomorrow) which will change this so that all configuration traffic works over port 80.

Regarding the external/internal IP address issue, all you need to do is change the IP address or server name that is in the script. You can either edit the script directly (it's near the top of the script), or you can call your own script that first sets the global variable $$MIRRORSYNC_URL to "http://yourServerAddress/MirrorSync/sync", and then calls the MirrorSync script. I recommend this second approach for two reasons: 1) you don't need to re-customize the script every time you copy and paste the script steps, and 2) you could make your own script smart about whether the user is accessing it internally or externally, and conditionally switch the address.

Hi Jesse, thanks. I was able to work around it by working from the server directly via RDC, luckily the clipboard from the server was visible to my own machine so I could copy scripts/layout into the database from FM client.

I'm going to open up one or two more threads for other issues I'm having now.

This topic is 4302 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.