Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using FM on a network

tedp

This topic is 8156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Folks! I've used FM for a few years now on my Mac, and now my PC, and need to know about networking and usage on a network. I've got 2 PCs in a small office, mostly using FM for sales orders and organizing the information contained within those orders. I've just installed the 2nd PC, and am not sure what to buy. I've got FM5.0 on PC1 (the old one), and nothing on PC2 (the new one). I want to be able to keep my database on the new pc, PC2, but the person working on PC1 needs to access the files as much if not more than I need to on PC2. Now, I'm not sure if I can get away with upgrading to 5.5 on PC1, and buying another issue of FM5.5 for PC2, or do I have to buy the "network" version? Can I access the files on #2 with #1? Does the program need to be closed out on one to use it on the other? Is buying the more expensive "network" version ($900?) a MUST DO? Can anyone help here?

Also, as long as I've got you, Is there a way I can sell my "template" to others and make it so they can't "give" out copies to others in the same industry? I've got several folks (peers)that love the system I've developed, but with all the work I've got invested, I'd hate to think they were all passing it around. I guess software developers deal with that every day, don't they? Any ideas?

I hope I'm doing this right... Thank you in advance,

Ted P.

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: tedp ]

• 4 weeks later...

Let me see if I can help.

The ordinary version of Filemaker pro works on networks. However, because of FM's clever secutity you must buy two separate disks.

One you have them insytalled you keep the database on one machine and access it from either, even at the same time.

For your own template, have a look at www.microcosm.com for a clever secutity method that prevents copying.

Chris

Let me see if I can help.

The ordinary version of Filemaker pro works on networks. However, because of FM's clever secutity you must buy two separate disks.

One you have them insytalled you keep the database on one machine and access it from either, even at the same time.

For your own template, have a look at www.microcosm.com for a clever secutity method that prevents copying.

Chris

• Newbies

Thanks, Chris. I've got it working exactly as you say. Regarding microcosm.com, though, that's a digital imaging company. Saw nothing regarding the type of product we're talking about here. Possible typo?

Again, thanks.

ted

This topic is 8156 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.