FileMaker: Onward to the Future

This topic is 4300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

July 10th 2012

In a variety of FileMaker community venues in recent weeks there has been a lot of confusion and unhappiness expressed about any number of changed behaviors and new features in the FileMaker 12 product family. There has also been a lot of speculation and hypothesizing—dare I say fantasizing-- about the future of the products and of the company.

Some of this commentary on both counts has been reasoned and constructive. Other parts of the commentary can best be characterized as coming from beyond the square corners at the flat ends of the Earth. There has also been a considerable amount of misinformation and incorrect characterization of the way FileMaker, Inc. is organized, how its development cycle process works, and who guides and directs that process and how.

The FileMaker 12 Family release was a major one. There is a new file format; there are numerous new features; and, there is new behavior under the hood. At the upcoming FileMaker DevCon in Miami Beach in a few days, there will be a number of programs focused on these very items.

The new features and changes, particularly those related to the design surface, were made—I believe—to serve as a foundation for the future growth, expansion, and stability of the products.

That said, clearly there are some features that require further tweaking and revision. Likewise, there are items that are missing, the addition of which would significantly benefit and strengthen the entire platform. My belief is that FileMaker, Inc. has listened to the concerns about these items that the developer community has raised. They are aware that there is work for them to do to continue to perfect the Family of Products.

The builders, the custodians, and the consumers of FileMaker Pro databases all need a modern and robust platform to meet their data management needs, whether they employ desktop machines, mobile devices, or web access. We are well on the way to achieving that goal. We do have a distance yet to go.

My belief is that we need to be ever watchful to see how all this unfolds. FileMaker, Inc. has a long and successful track record. I believe they want to continue that winning streak. I am not betting against them.

So, as the members of the developer community, are we prepared to walk on that journey with them? Our pathway will at times be steep. Our voyage will at times be arduous. Our goal will at times seem elusive. Our excursion is neither for the faint of heart nor for the flagging of spirit. It will carry us onward. We have made similar passages in the past; we can make this one now yet again. We have the skill; do we have the will? Do we have the perseverance? Do we have the vision? We shall soon embark; we shall soon discover; we shall soon answer.

Steven H. Blackwell

Platinum Member Emeritus, FileMaker Business Alliance

• Like 2

This topic is 4300 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.