Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Possible to launch remote file?

Gerry888

This topic is 8093 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm no network expert, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question -- but: Is there an easy way to launch a FileMaker file on a REMOTE computer (in other words, to have the file actually open on the remote computer, instead of opening on the local computer)?

For various reasons, I would like to be able to host FileMaker databases on a FM Server machine (Windows 2000), and use the Task Scheduler on that server to open the hosted databases on a remote machine (which I use as a web server). (Among the "various reasons" I want to do this is that the computer clocks in the place I'm working are all screwed up, so I can't use the Task Scheduler on the remote machine; the network people are not interested in addressing the clock problem.) I've got a "launcher" file on the remote machine that will open the hosted files correctly if I'm sitting at the remote machine, but I can't figure out how to launch it remotely. I've even tried Windows Script Host and Active-X, to no avail.

I'm I just being stupid here -- which is more than possible -- or is this something that can't be done without some sort of remote-control software?

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

--Gerry

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps you could use the Remote Command Service (Rcmd.exe & Rcmdsvc.exe) files from the Windows 2000 Resource Kit tools along with a batch file???

Also, VNC is a great free solution for remote desktop control but remember to set the service to start manually if possible for security reasons. If you are an administrator on the remote PC you can simply connect to the machine you want to control and start the service.

Will

This topic is 8093 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.