Server Maintenance This Week. ×

hosting with workstation

mireille

This topic is 8082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, I am new to this site but I hope someone can help me with de following problem.

Our group works with hosted FM dbases. Recently we decided to purchase FM Server to allow more guests to check our FM files over the intranet.

Although absolutely not recommended, this FM Server was installed on a workstation of one of our administrators. The problem now is that this person cannot access the dbases hosted by FM Server on his own computer. How can this problem be tacled?

Mireille

Andy is completely correct. FIleMAker Server belongs on its own CPU.

Also, when you say access file over an "Intranet", if you mean by use of a web browser, FileMaker Server does not support this. You must use FileMaker Pro Unlimited in most instances for this purpose.

See the Server Best Practices White Paper on the FMI web site.

Old Advance Man

Andy -- you cannot put FM server on Windows as front application smile.gif It is background service.

Connecting Client to server on the same machine is not recommended, but it usually works on Windows machines. It depends lot on network configuration and horsepower. Try to connect to localhost, 127.0.0.1, name of the machine, IP of the machine etc. It may work fast (as in our company) or slow as I am testing this right now on one of my home machines.

On MacOS that will be difficult, because the server is running lousy in background (no preemptive multitasking) and to have FM client and Server as front application is impossible.

This topic is 8082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.