FM GO Desktop?

This topic is 4290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Over the past couple of months I have been trying to create a couple of FM apps for my clients that require import/export. I don't really want to ask my clients to spend $299 and purchase FM because they would only need to access the DBs and not build them or tweak them. IWP does not allow import/export and although there is/was a plugin it doesn't seem to be supported by any FM hosts.

However, when I look at FM Go it has all the capabilities I need: it's free, it exports (I dont know about importing) etc. Considering this, does anyone think that FM will ever release a desktop version of FM Go? I am now at the point of considering going down the road of MYSQL hosted on something like Heroku for my little apps, but I would rather figure out a way to stick with FM.

Thanks for any info!

Speculation will not get you the right results. Let's see how your problem can be best solved with available tools.

1. You can get FIleMaker license cheaper than $299. I am a reseller and I can give it to people for $$279. You can also pick up licenses cheaper on Amazon, e.g.

2. There are people whom only use FileMaker Go. There is nothing wrong with that.

3. It's best to examine the problem itself and then find a solution for it. From your post, I couldn't decipher what you are actually trying to achieve.

• Newbies

Thanks for the info Agnes. I think the solution to my problem is developing PHP to access my hosted FM DBs, since IWP cannot import or export. My clients are small businesses and many would balk at having to purchase FM if they are not developing databases themselves. I am an accountant and these are simple accounting apps for doing things like importing employee hours and calculating holiday hours and overtime etc. Previously I was creating Excel Macros for these, but I am finding FM to be a much better solution.

I just wonder why iOS gets a free app to access hosted FM databases with extensive functionality like export capabilities but for Mac OSX you must purchase a full version capable of creating and editing databases. Would be nice to have an 'access only' FM app for the desktop.

these are simple accounting apps for doing things like importing employee hours and calculating holiday hours and overtime etc. Previously I was creating Excel Macros for these, but I am finding FM to be a much better solution.

IMHO small businesses should be using MYOB or a similar shrink-wrapped application to manage payroll and not be developing something bespoke in FMP.

As for a desktop version of FM Go: you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. FM Go is the mobile version of FM Pro.

Consider that FMI is a business and has to make money by selling something. It is remarkable that FMI chose to make FM Go 12 free: FM Go 11 was not free but was still wildly popular, and cheap.

This topic is 4290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.