Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portecting FM Files

johnnyng

This topic is 8696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I have a large FM DB used over a network. I do know how to protect the records by passwords - but how can I prevent a user from copying the whole database file into its own PC and then take away an authorized copy? I have tried offering the DB over intranet (web broswer) but it's quite slow and with limited features. Any idea about what can I do? Thanks.

Regards

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Suggestions:

1) Open all the needed files on the Server end as multiuser

2) Users have access to the files only through Filmaker. (using OPEN =>> HOSTS) That way they cannot get to the actual server (CPU) that is housing the actual FM database.

3) Users do not have the ability to export data. That way the data cannot be extracted either.

Hope that helps. I'm also assuming that all users have their own copy if FMPro software on their desktops

quote:

Originally posted by LaughingLoudly:

Suggestions:

1) Open all the needed files on the Server end as multiuser

2) Users have access to the files only through Filmaker. (using OPEN =>> HOSTS) That way they cannot get to the actual server (CPU) that is housing the actual FM database.

3) Users do not have the ability to export data. That way the data cannot be extracted either.

Hope that helps. I'm also assuming that all users have their own copy if FMPro software on their desktops

Putting the files on a non-accessable "server" is the best way to protect the files themselves. The best way to protect the data is to setup access rights that do not allow for export of data, or access to script maker.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Johnny,

A radical solution: I have used for some of my DBs a hardware key from "Rainbow Technologies".

This hardware keys (SuperPro for PC and Eve for Mac)work with a plug-in developed by them.

You can find a detailed explanation in their site:www.rainbow.com

If you choose this let me know and I can give you some guidelines.

ZZ laugh.gif

This topic is 8696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.