Data from 2 Records on One Layout?

Lizard

This topic is 4255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is there a way in Filemaker Pro 11 to display data from two records that are from the same table on one layout?

I thought I could use a portal to display/print the second record's data, but when I try to set up the portal the current table (and all other tables in the database) are grayed out so cannot be selected. It has been a long time since I did more than just enter data in the database, so anything I knew about portals is apparently forgotten.

Here is what I am trying to do: The database contains 7,000+/- membership records. Some members are family members to one another. Each has his or her own membership record and membership number, so their records are all in the same table.

The family member gets a membership dues discount, and so some info from their record needs to be displayed/printed on the dues statement for the primary member. Is there a way to display data from two records that come from the same table on one layout?

Thank you in advance for any help.

By the way, in light of my obvious ignorance, can you suggest training suitable to a small business owner who uses simple Filemaker databases? Internet resources are always good, though I would travel to Portland, OR or Seattle, WA for good instruction.

You can create another table occurrence of the table on the graph and key the relationship on whatever criteria you want to link the family members. Then you can use that table occurrence for the portal.

As for training, the best bet is to try and get with some of the local developers out there in one of their User group meetings. They have a pretty strong community in Portland as well as Seattle.

See here for contacts.

http://www.fmpug.com/chapters.php

• Newbies

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I've made the table occurrence and the portal, and now I need to figure out how to have the family member's record display in that portal. I can't use the Membership Number as the matching related records or it just displays the same record's data; gotta find a way to make a portal including a searchable field that I hope will then display the family member's records. Back to the books!

Thanks for the User group recommendation; I will check them out.

This topic is 4255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.