Value list : Exclude selected values

HarrisonM

This topic is 4274 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

For a database for articles, Each article has multiple tags. I have a basic setup with a portal showing records from the join table between Articles and Tags. I am trying to create a value list for tags that updates itself showing only unselected tags for an article. ARTICLES::cSelectedTags is a calculation=List(ARTICLE_TAGS::TagID_fk)&¶

Then ARTICLES::cSelectedTags is connected to a duplicate TO of TAGS::TagID using a not equal relationship operator. A value list is built using this relationship, would exclude the tags selected in the portal ?

Attached images show the relationship graph and setup for value lists.

For some reason the value list does not work? Any suggestions to fix it?

post-106903-0-71827200-1344149758_thumb.

post-106903-0-94758900-1344149791_thumb.

Thank you very much for pointing out that article.

That article says "In version 9, a field used to match a Number field in a ≠ relationship is considered empty, unless it has an actual number in it."

The match fields in my case cSelectedTags and Article_TAGS_forVLunselectedTags::TagID are text fields. Does this mean that I have to use the Serial# field rather than the TagID text field (which is actually an autoenter calculation = SerialIncrement("TAG000000";Serial#). So updated the calculated field with a fictitious tagID "TAG99999999" to be appended to the top of the cSelectedTags

The only problem that I now have is that I have to manually refresh the window for the value list to update itself. Selecting a new tagID in the portal does not automatically update the value list to reflect the unselected Tags !!?

If TagID is a Text field, then the matching field on the other side of a ≠ relationship must contain some text - for example =

List ( ARTICLE_TAGS::TagID_fk ) & "¶ "

Of course, this =

List ( ARTICLE_TAGS::TagID_fk ) & "¶0"

would work with both types.

• Like 1

This topic is 4274 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.