Childless Parents are skipped on the printed report...

Jhestler

This topic is 4262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a report equivalent to the attached.

The yellow highlights data derived from the parent table; the green highlights data derived from the child of the applicable parent.

Problem: The report is from the Child table, and so childless parents are skipped.

I've been advised that the way to get around this is to create a third table to report the consolidated data from the parents and children, which is imported on the fly via a script.

I couldn't quite figure that out, and would appreciate any advisement you have... also hoping there's an easier way, lol... Thanks!

---J

Example.pdf

An easier way is to print from the parent table, and include a portal to the child. However, that would mean a uniform row height for the child records.

Another option is to define a calculation field in the parent table, using the List() function.

Comment, my old friend; glad to see you here : )

The example was produced using a portal embedded in the body; the only limitation being what you pointed out: the records that can be displayed are limited by the number of portal rows, and while the portal will slide up, the field won't.

I'm unfamiliar with the List function; I'll study it this evening and circle back with an update; thank you!

• Newbies

Another possibility is a virtual list: a list of technical records will display calculations derived from a return-delimited $$variable, getting each specific value from the var using Get(RecordNumber). In this variable you may collect any data you want, from several tables, in any sorting order. There may be quite some calculation involved for setting up a detailed report, but it's very flexible.

HTH Peter

Comment: That List function suggestion is totally badass. It works like a charm!

I can't think of any limitations or risks to this solution; I only need to be sure to make the body of the report long enough to accommodate the foreseable number of records in the resulting list, yes?

One question: is there any way to insert an additional paragraph break between the resulting list records? While they're all visible, the formatting looks funny with them sandwiched vertically on top of one another like that. A little more space between the records would be ideal... Thank you!!!

J

I think I cracked the solution to adding an extra paragraph break between the listed records resulting from the above List function suggested by Comment:

Substitute (List ( InboundDelivery_Issues::QuickDeliveryIssueCalc_ForDefectLetter);¶;¶ & ¶)

This seems to have done the trick; thank you!!!

J

Whoa! I'll try that on Monday morning; thanks, Comment!

I failed to consider that using the List function will show all the children, regardless of status, unless I create a relationship to filter them. I almost missed that, lol... Is that the propr way to filter the children resulting from the List solution we're chatting about?

This topic is 4262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.