Beginner FM GO / Hosted DB question - Auto Logout

This topic is 4237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey all,

Diving deeper into FM than I have before and had a question or two about a database I am hosting. It's a simple word order / dispatch solution and I'm currently using a 30 day trial at triple8 dot net to host it. Tried to search a little for the answer, but am not even sure at this point what to search for.

I have 5 layouts in my DB that are designed for use on an iPhone. Is there a way to set it so that it always opens to a certain layout whenever someone logs in? In this instance, I have one I call "Home". I'd like to go to that page automatically upon loginng into the DB.

Also, is there a way to adjust the auto logout with FM Go? I've noticed that if I put my phone to sleep for a brief moment it will link back up without the credentials. However, after a short period it will require my login credentials again. Is there a way to adjust that?

I know these are very basic questions. I'm just so new to hosted DB's that I wasn't even sure where to search for the answers. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

JG

You can go to a specified layout on startup by setting the File Options for the database file your users are connecting to. In FileMaker Pro (Advanced), select from the File menu > File Options > Open > Switch to layout. FileMakerStandards.org suggests as a best practice that this option should actually be a blank layout based on a "Null" table with no records or fields for security and performance reasons. You can also open the file to a particular layout by creating a startup script for your solution that ends by going to the layout you want. From the File Options dialog, select that script to run on startup. In FileMaker 12, this will be under the "Script Triggers" tab as "OnFirstWindowOpen".

Since your profile lists your client version as 11, I'm assuming you're connecting with FileMaker Go 11. To allow users to switch apps without having to re-login when they switch back to FileMaker Go:

1. The Auto-Restore Login setting for FileMaker Go has to be enabled in the app preferences for each device.

2. The privilege sets in the files your FileMaker Go users are connecting with need to have the "fmrestorelogin" extended privilege.

If security is a concern for you and you want to do this, please make sure your users' devices require a passcode to be unlocked.

If you're actually running FileMaker Go 12 and just haven't updated your profile, it's a bit different. There is no Auto-Restore Login app setting, and the privilege set of interest is fmreauthenticateXX, where XX is the number of minutes you want your users to be allowed to switch back to FileMaker without being forced to re-enter their credentials. Accounts that don't have the extended privilege will be able to switch back to FileMaker Go without re-entering their credentials indefinitely, presumably as long as the app is still hibernating (rather than being asked to fully quit by iOS) and the server will tolerate. Please use fmreauthenticateXX almost all the time.

Just got back to the office and am taking a closer look at the File Options. Couple of questions for ya. I have followed the instructions in that document you sent and created a blank table with no records that I am calling "Startup". I have created my "Home Page" which is simply a page based on records from that empty table. It has navigation buttons on it to route to my desired layouts (I want to avoid using the FM Go Toolbar as much as possible). That's all straightforward.

I see the document you pointed out also mentions using the script trigger technique to route to your desired home page, as opposed to the "switch to layout" under the open tab in File Options. I can conceptually see how the two are different (I think), but why would one be desirable over the other? Also, does the Log In Using Account section apply to all people accessing the DB? Just to help me understand... could I set these options differently for different users. For instance, route "User1" to "Layout A" on login, route "User2" to "Layout B" on login?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

JG

The light-weight startup layout is a performance concern. It minimizes the amount of data that has to be pushed over the network when the file is opened.

This topic is 4237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.