Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Slow over wan

DawnL

This topic is 8147 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Remote office clients connect across 56k frame-relay; using TCP/IP. 4 minutes to open med-size DB, 15 minutes to close the DB. I don't expect great speed at 56k, but any suggestions on "performance tuning" of FM5.5 server and database to help this? This seems extremely slow. Probably will upgrade to 128k connection, but still would like optimized performance.

On 64k standard ISP the times are in seconds, not minutes.

Do you have some fancy layout with graphics?

We are using just plain fields or just related values from remote database called from local database. That IS fast, the transfers are in split seconds.

From 128k the databases without graphics are fast.

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

I have to say that FM crawls over a WAN. We have a 2MB line in the UK where our FM server is, and 384K ADSL in the US. It takes about 20 minutes to open our FM databases (about 20 files).

We are also getting a problem where FM says "Communication with the host was interrupted and could not be reestablished". We get errors -23102 or -1072. Other services running over that link (mail, web, AFP) work without any problems.

Does anyone have any examples of a successful WAN setup?

Cheers,

Steve.

I would definitely recommend a Terminal Server setup when running over a slow connection.

Then the TS runs a local FileMaker Pro client connected to the FM Server, and all WAN clients would access the Terminal Server preferrably via some VPN connection. There are VPN clients for both MacOS and Windows, but the Terminal Server is (of course) on a PC.

There are white papers to download from FileMaker about this. Works quite OK!

/Daniel

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Baxter:

I have to say that FM crawls over a WAN. We have a 2MB line in the UK where our FM server is, and 384K ADSL in the US. It takes about 20 minutes to open our FM databases (about 20 files).

Cheers,

Steve.

On what routers, what platforms? To open 10 files over 128k takes up to 2 minutes between our HQ and factory, then is at speed of 1/3 - 1/5th of 10Mb Ethernet over coaxial cable.

This topic is 8147 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.