Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Connecting to FM5 Remotely

amorris

This topic is 7389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Help

I need to log onto a filemaker pro server from my machine at home using Filemaker Pro 5. can this be done using Apple remote Access or do I need to use something like Timbuktu Pro to actually control the machine

thanks

Adrian,

If you can get the ip address of the server, then just go to hosts and choose specify host.

If the host is behind a firewall, then you will need access through the firewall (either by assigning your ip address to allow entry if static, or porting the ip address of the server through the firewall.)

You only need timbuktu if you want to control that actual machine. If oyu just want to see the databases then can be done by remote access.

HTH

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

andygaunt said:

If the host is behind a firewall, then you will need access through the firewall (either by assigning your ip address to allow entry if static, or porting the ip address of the server through the firewall.)

HTH

To Andy et al, where can I find more information about access through a firewall? I have been sharing a database for a while and recently installed a wireless router in my home. Now the router assumes the IP address from the server and then gives fake IP's to my home Macs. How do I configure this so that I can continue to access the database? FYI - FPM 6 and Mac OS 9.1 on host machine.

Rey:

One thing you could do is put the PC with the database in the DMZ. But this pretty much puts it in front of the firewall.

Amorris:

Brent Dussia from Live Oak told me one time that it's probably best to use a remote control program like Timbuktu if you are accessing a FM file over the Internet. This is because only kvm info (keyboard, video, mouse) info is sent. If you connect without it, it is possible for others to "sniff" your port and get data being sent back and forth from the database.

Just to add to this, if you do not want to use DMZ, you can use port forwarding. This is normally quite straight forward to setup on wireless routers, I have done this on Netgear, D-Link and Belkin wireless routers and it takes literally 10 seconds to set this up. You just log onto your router through a browser normally with the IP address of 192.168.0.1, with Belkin products it's slightly different - 192.168.2.1, but check your router manual for this.

But do take into account what kenneth said about using a remote control program, I suppose it all depends on the sensitivity of the data stored in FM.

Regards

Ed.

This topic is 7389 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.