Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Remote Access

jagoldst

This topic is 8633 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to remotely connect to an FM5 database over the internet? Please give me some guidelines and direction. I currently am opening a new office and would like to use DSL in both locations to connect

Thanks

------------------

Best regards,

Jeff Goldstein

quote:

Originally posted by jagoldst:

Is it possible to remotely connect to an FM5 database over the internet? Please give me some guidelines and direction. I currently am opening a new office and would like to use DSL in both locations to connect

You need to have TCP/IP enabled on all the computers, which is most likely the case anyway. You need to set Filemaker to use TCP/IP. You can then open the files through the Host button and by specifying the IP address of the host.

Now the problem you will have is performance. DSL is not really fast enough for most database applications. However give it a try and see what the results are.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Short Answer, Yes.

We have 5 remote offices and several key people in the field that use this technique to access our db's in the main office.

Make sure that you are using the TCP/IP protocols on your server, and you have a static IP address for the server.

When people are connected to the internet, and open host in FileMaker, they should see a Specify Host option. Select this and enter the IP address of your server and they should the files available come up in the host window.

Hope this helps

• 5 weeks later...

This topic is 8633 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.