Server Maintenance This Week. ×

2 offices 1 database

Kurt Knippel

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by tomcheung:

I am using fmpro server mac, ver.3 - hosting a variety of dB's on a mixed platform LAN, also using DSL with a linksys router for my internet connection -static IP's.

we are about to open a branch office in a different city.

I need a solution to access my fmpro server from a different city using fmpro ver. 4 and dsl internet connections with static IP's

I want to be able to click on host and specify an IP address that points to my fmpro server that is located in a different city

any insights to how I may be able to achieve this

Click on the Host button and specify an IP address is all that you need to do.

This assumes that your FMP server is visible outside of you LAN and that you DSL assigned IPs are actually valid IPs. Sometimes they are dished out by the DSL provider over and over again, then the routing is handled by the provider. Thus your actual IP that is needed might be unavailable through the DSL connection. Check with your provider on this.

Also you might want to consider running a remote control/terminal service type of solution, since the DSL connection is way to slow to support good database connectivity.

Remember that even T1 is 100x SLOWER than your LAN, and DSL is only a fraction of the speed of T1.

Running something like Cytrix (if you have say 5 or more users) or Timbuktu will make it seem much faster since the only thing being transfered over the wire is the screen refreshes, all processing is done on the LAN by the Cytrix server or Timbuktu workstation.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• Newbies

I am using fmpro server mac, ver.3 - hosting a variety of dB's on a mixed platform LAN, also using DSL with a linksys router for my internet connection -static IP's.

we are about to open a branch office in a different city.

I need a solution to access my fmpro server from a different city using fmpro ver. 4 and dsl internet connections with static IP's

I want to be able to click on host and specify an IP address that points to my fmpro server that is located in a different city

any insights to how I may be able to achieve this

------------------

[email protected]

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.