Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cable modem, satellite or DSL...anyone used these for their database

rstrong

This topic is 8484 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am interested what speeds anyone has had success with running their databases with over DSL, cable or satellite (one/two way).

Unfortunately I may have to try it over a satellite which has approx. 700MS delay. I would like to know if this is even usable.

database is approx 2000-3k records, but could reduce to 150 of only active records to speed things up...

Anyones input appreciated..

Thx

RD

• Newbies

Hopefully the 2way satellite will be out shortly, I need the database running by march.

I assume the upload over the phone with one way satellite would be make the database like surfing on a 14.4 modem.. smile.gif

not sure what the data rate is on satellite, DirectPC is the only one I know of.

[This message has been edited by rstrong (edited February 01, 2001).]

I used to service a customer's database system over a 28.8k modem a few years ago. Depending what I had to do, I would either run Filemaker on my own computer and connect to their filemaker server, or run Timbuktu (PC Anywhere for Windows) on my computer and Filemaker on the remote computer. Running Filemaker on my computer was very slow when there was a large found set of records. Timbuktu worked very well. I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution, but it might get you going until a better solution comes along. Otherwise, you can go the web companion route with reduced capabilities.

I would sugggest using Thin Clinet Technology such As MS Terminal Server .... We have been deploying it over various connection types and it works great .... This does require a multi server envoirnment ... Your FM File Server and Terminal Servers with a limit of 15 users per Terminal server ... Not exactly cheap, but by far, better then any other way..... Feed each Terminal Server with a dedicated 1.5 DSL and you should have no problems.... Of course if you want to step up to T3, that will reduce the load balancing issues and the need for multiple DSL Lines

This topic is 8484 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.