Server Maintenance This Week. ×

CALLING ALL BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS!

This topic is 7725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You'll probably get this one alot! Scriptology: FileMaker Pro Demystified. Although an experienced FileMaker developer, this book help me get to the next level. Some are put off by the reference that the book covers versions 3 & 4 but fear not. If you develop in v5 you need this book!

Once I got started I bought Filemaker Pro 5 Bible by Steven A. Schwartz.

A real good book for both beginners, intermediate and experienced developers.

I'd recommend it to everyone, as a study- or reference book.

------------------

Yeti

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the book Special Edition Using FileMaker Pro5, by Rich Coulombre and Jonathan Price. It is a very good book for the beginner to intermediate developer. This book also contains a CD Rom which is very helpful when you need to look for an example of what you are trying to do. Full of good tips to keep in mind while developing.

• 2 weeks later...

Early last year, after several years out of developing, I asked FM Forums for book recommendations. Someone recommended

"Database Design for Mere Mortals" by Michael J. Hernandez

as a read in addition to the FMPro-specific books. ABSOLUTELY! It was enormously helpful to get my head back into developer frame of mind. I particularly mention it again because there are so many FMP developers out there with no formal training in how TO PLAN a database, and FMP lets you just jump right in without asking "did you plan this properly, first?" In the long run, this book will reduce the number of times you bang your head against the keyboard/monitor/wall.

Thanks to whomever recommended it to me! (Sorry, I don't remember :-()

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the previous post.

I am currently reading Database Design for Mere Mortals and it is very good, however, it doesn't cover Normalization as well as it could (it doesn't purport to either). ISBN: 0-201-69471-9

I would also suggest another book I'm reading no called Database Design by Ryan Stephens and Ronald Plew. It was published this year by SAMS Publishing. ISBN: 0-672-31758-3

Cael.

• 1 year later...

I am working through a copy of Learn Filemaker Pro 6 by Johnathan Stars "with Nonie Bernard". It is a very basic intro to using the software and making relationships. It develops a typical Invoices - Products - Contacts type database in an idiot proof step by step way. Good way to dip your toe into water.

Im waiting for the Rich Coulombre and Jonathan Price book to arrive by post.

Hernandez's "Database Design for Mere Mortals" helped me a lot in planning my DB.

This topic is 7725 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.