sharing over TCP/IP, some files connect, others beachball

This topic is 4179 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We are running machines A & B, one a Mac Mini, the other an iMac, both running OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, both running FileMaker Pro 11.0v4. We have a number of databases which we use each day, and have used for years. They all live on machine A. Machine B accesses the files via Open Remote. With no changes whatsoever to our system, either hardware or software, certain files open just fine on B, while others open, reveal the number of records, a blank layout otherwise, and then beachball to the point where a Force Quit is required. Here is what we have done:

• permissions repair via Disk Utility (minor issues, nothing major)

• double-checked to be sure correct privileges were in place via Command-I

• disk repair via Disk Utility (all clear)

• Recover in FileMaker

• toggled FileMaker Sharing off and then on

• restarted both machines in Safe Mode

• switched ports in our router

Nothing has helped. Now, if the offending files are placed ON Machine B (versus access via TCP/IP), they open just fine. FileMaker tech support now wants to escalate the matter to a $45 fee-based issue, and have asked for copies of the offending files. Based on the steps I have taken so far, however, this does not seem like a file structure issue. Thoughts? Thank you!

Edited by Lee Smith
Made type readable

• Newbies

Brian, yes, A is mounted as a shared volume on B. But, we solved it, with a bizarre solution - if we daisy-chain a crappy old Netgear router into the equation, all is well. So:

• instead of Comcast Cable > Comcast modem > split into four signals (3 computers and a printer)

• we use only one port on Comcast modem, and run Comcast Cable > Comcast modem > Netgear router > split into four signals (3 computers and a printer)

Now, why every other bit of networking worked with the first configuration (internet, all file sharing EXCEPT certain FileMaker databases) baffles me. Thank you for your response.

I'd recommend that you don't allow any access to the Filemaker files as a shared volume if possible. I had a similar situation with one of my clients. We reorganised the filing on the Mac hosting the files so the Filemaker files were not on a shared volume and were not visible in the filing system to other Macs or PCs on the network. Beach-balls and all the other problems disappeared and have never come back. Things ran a lot quicker too, as the FMP Clients were using just TCP/IP, not file sharing protocols.

Brian

Are you sharing these files using the operating system or using FileMaker?

Do not use the operating system to serve the files, it will cause problems.

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "FileMaker Product FamilyFileMaker Pro 11" to "FileMaker Server AdministrationSharing & Serving Legacy VersionsPeer To Peer Sharing".

This topic is 4179 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.