FM Go displaying wrong image in container fields

This topic is 4138 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been away from the forums for a very long time and I apologize if this is a FAQ, but I haven't been able to find any info on it.

I have a container field on a layout that stores graphics (embedded, not file references).  When I view some records (but only some records) in FM Go, the wrong image appears in the container field; it displays the data from another record.  The image displayed is, consistently the same image, almost as if it were a Global field, but it is not (as evidenced by the fact that not all records behave this way).  It does not seem to matter what layout I use, as long as that container field is on the layout.

When I tap the container field and select "View" from the Actions pop-up, the correct image displays.  So I know the correct data is there.  But for some reason when I view the data on a layout it displays the wrong image.

Also, the correct image displays when I access the same hosted database through desktop FMP 12.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

I have done some digging, using a new field that calculates GetAsText(container), and have figured out some more information.

Some background:  The images  were all inserted by copying portions of a PDF document (open in another application, e.g. Preview or Acrobat Reader) and pasting into the container field.  Several different users were doing this, and apparently they did not all follow exactly the same procedures:

(1)  Some users used a screen grab tool to select a portion of the document, then pasted into the container field.  In this case GetAsText(container) shows "Untitled.png"

(2)  Some users used the selection tool inside the PDF reader to copy a portion of the document, then pasted into the container field.  In this case GetAsText(container) shows "Untitled.pdf".

Apparently the problem I am experiencing only occurs when the graphic was pasted in as a PDF.  More specifically what I am seeing is the wrong portion of the correct PDF.  Because the correct portion of the PDF does appear when I access the file from FMP, I assume that what is going on is that the entire PDF is stored, but only a cropped portion of it is displayed.   For some reason FM Go is having trouble showing the correct cropped region when the container field is on a layout (but does it correctly when I tap the container field and select "View" from the Actions popup).

So my questions, then:

(1)  Has anybody else experienced this kind of behavior?

(2)  Is there somethng I can do to fix it?

(3)  Short of that, is there a way to batch-convert all of those "Untitled.pdf" fields to PNG or some other graphic format that doesn't confuse FM Go?

• 3 weeks later...

--you can restrict the file type stored in a container in filemaker 12 (at least for external storage)...

--you could look at the plugins offered by 360 works that operate on pdf files... they all have trial versions...

--if all else fails you could ask them to custom build you a plugin, they did something similar for me that allowed me to test for signed vs. unsigned documents.

sorry, I don't know how to help more than that....

This topic is 4138 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.