Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Remote Login to Server lost

This topic is 4116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm running FMP10 Server advanced on our internal network - it runs on a Vista Professional platform.  Our firewall router has been configured to allow access from the internet to a database running on this server through IWP and also from an FMP client on remote computers. This has worked reliably for several years. 

After a recent Windows update, the web engine has gone into a sulk, and keeps stopping after two or three minutes. In addition, when you use the open remote option from a remote FMP client the database is displayed in the dialog box, but when you try and open it, the FMP client complains that database is not available.

I've made no changes to the router settings or the firewall settings on the Vista PC that I am aware of.  I've been careful not to install any recent Java updates or Apple Bonjour updates as I've had problems before.

Any suggestions how I can diagnose what's going wrong?

Thanks

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at the Windows updates and can't see anything obvious from the descriptions that gives me a clue - I'm reluctant to go backwards by progressively removing them without a clear idea of what is causing the problem, but I'm not sure what to look for.

This FMPSA 10 server is installed on a Windows server running VIsta Business (financial constraints forced client to this). The firewall is provided by McAfee Total Protection. The server is accessible from the internet via the ADSL router, which is set up to present the server to the internet and make it accessible with a DMZ facility. This setup has run reliably and with minimal maintenance for over three years - this problem is recent. Nothing has been deliberately changed in the router or network, and the WIndows updates are semi-automatic - I choose when to actually install them.

Local access on the private network is possible using a normal FMP 11 Client on  Win XP and Mac OSX10.6 machines calling the IP address of the server.  Web access doesn't work either via the local network address or via the internet address.

I've examined the server log files - it appears that when web services start up, an error 2243 followed by an error 2245 is generated.  As I understand this, the server is saying that it cannot start as some of the necessary ports are not open.  I've checked though the McAfee firewall port settings and all the relevant ports appear to opened to TCP traffic - I assume that UDP is not relevant. 

Not sure where to go next

Thanks

Brian

Wow!  Putting that machine in a DMZ with software firewall is really risky... Time to revisit that deployment I think.

Aside from that: is Windows set up with restore points? In that case there would be one from just before the last batch of Windows updates that you can go back to.

This topic is 4116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.