Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Custom Menu 'kills' Record Browse feature

ron G

This topic is 4043 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FM Advanced 12 03 on Windows and Mac.

post-72145-0-22694400-1359059078_thumb.j

If I attach a custom menu to a script that creates a Preview Window, the ability to page through the found set is grayed out! 

Here is the script:

post-72145-0-46617900-1359062639_thumb.j

If I don't have a Custom Menu, the user has full access to the Filemaker Menu.

Is there a way to have both the 'record scroll' icon in the Status bar AND have a custom menu?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron, this is the second time you've asked basically the same question. You need to understand that when you install a custom menu, it "takes over". Any feature not included in your custom menu becomes unavailable. This is the best reason to design custom menus carefully and to assign menu sets to layouts equally carefully. I know from experience this can be daunting. One thing I avoid is the status toolbar. Get used to living without it if you're committed to using custom menus.

Ron, this is the second time you've asked basically the same question. You need to understand that when you install a custom menu, it "takes over". Any feature not included in your custom menu becomes unavailable. This is the best reason to design custom menus carefully and to assign menu sets to layouts equally carefully. I know from experience this can be daunting. One thing I avoid is the status toolbar. Get used to living without it if you're committed to using custom menus.

I disagree. Custom menus allow the developer to more strictly control the toolbar, because the default commands can be replaced with scripts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does limiting an account to data entry also affect this issue?  I have the "Go to Record Menu with /Next/Previous submenu in my custom menu.  I apply the custom menu to the account at the opening of the file by script with Get(accountname) and Install menu set. The options are there but greyed out and I cannot scroll.  What have I done wrong?

I've manage to answer my own question but now have a new one.  What I have discovered is the following:  I assigned a menu set by privilege as mentioned above.  I also chose to Hide/lock the status bar on file opening.  When you hide AND lock the bar, you cannot use the Go to Record Menu with /Next/Previous submenu.  If you hide, but don't lock it, then it is accessible.  So the new question is....

Why would they do this, and how do I get around this issue. 

Off I go detective.....ing again! ugh

This topic is 4043 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.