Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deactivation - where in FM12?

This topic is 4105 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Until recently, stuck on FMP 9, I could de-activate a computer by going to the Help menu.

I bought FMP 12 for a client, and used a copy of it to do development work for her. Now I can afford (just!) to buy my own FMP 12 Advanced, I want to release the copy so that my client can use it.

Does 'deactivate' still exist in FMP 12? 

Thanks

Emma

OK, I'm googling away and gather this feature has gone. So if I simply uninstall the client's copy from my Mac, will it run happily when installed on her PC or will she get licensing problems? Just want to avoid any potential embarrassment, not to mention a wasted journey.

The 'activation' thing was very unpopular at the time, and probably caused FMI more problems than the cash they were trying to preserve - it disappeared after v9. The FM community is generally very honest.

As far as I know you can install the same license on as many machines as you want, albeit breaking the licensing rules and risking prosecution, although personally I think it's quite fair for yourself to install the same license on all your own development machines. After all FMP is provided as a dual platform product, which is a bit of an 'invite' for developers using both platforms.

When you get FMPA then you will be able to provide runtimes to clients, which will deliver your solution without your client needing FMP, although there are some drawbacks to runtimes, but many developers here are running successful businesses with this method.

Oh, a complete change! Thanks so much. My Mac also has Windows, so in fact I'd only be installing it on the one machine... in a way!  The client was perfectly happy to buy FMP, even telling me I wasn't charging enough for my work. I'm sure that isn't typical! Hoping to get some more similar work once I've gone to the expense of FMPA, although it's not my day job.

Problem solved, thanks!

This topic is 4105 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.