Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Development Standards

This topic is 4102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

by Matt Petrowsky

minutes

Having personally developed with both languages and frameworks which implement strong sets of standards, I quickly found that having some form of standards imposed, allowed me to focus more on the solution once the conventions were learned. I wasn't doing the same type of thing in two different ways due to the current "known" way.

Notice, I didn't say the "right" way. There's often more than one way to accomplish something. It's like driving a car however. No matter which one I hop into, they all have many of the same parts in the same place. Steering wheel, brakes, accelerator, etc.

Sure, nuances like the radio and air conditioning may be different, but they don't move the steering wheel around on you.

This makes it easy to adapt when moving from one car to the next. It provides a basis from which I can start to learn what I may not know about.

In 2010, I started documenting some of my own personal standards for FileMaker specific development - and invited others to join in. In this video, I discuss some of those standards and the why and how they work.

Over the few years since starting the web site, the number of people using them has increased. This has allowed the standards to grow based on the feedback and input from others. This video provides a variety of topics related to standards which may help you evolve your own or take advantage of, and leverage, those which have already been started.

Details: Released - 2/13/2013 / Size - 115.58 MB / Length - 44 min

View the full article

This topic is 4102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.