Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is it possible to stream videos on IE over IWP ?

This topic is 4033 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there,

I built a Media Center database with FileMaker Pro 12 for my customer that is hosted by their FileMaker Server 12 Advanced (FMSA). The managed files are Pictures, PDFs and Movies. We use the new managed storage of FM12. This database contain two parts : internal, for media's managment, accessed with FileMaker Pro 12 clients and external, for their partners, that use the Instant Web Publishing (IWP) engine of FMSA. Recently, i tried to take advantage of the new Interactive Container function for the movies. I communicated to my customer the recommended video formats of the IWP Guide : MP4, MOV and AVI. With FileMaker Pro, for the internal part, all works fine on both Mac and Windows. But on IWP, it only works with Safari on a Mac OS X (10.7 and 10.8) but doesn't work on Internet Explorer 8 or Internet Explorer 9 and Windows 7 however QuickTIme plugin is installed on the PC. A little blue logo appears on the Interactive Container's upper left corner (-> see my screenshot). After a many contacts with FileMaker's Support, they was not able to solve the problem but they confirmed that, after few tests, the FMI technician was able to play .avi, .mov and .mp4 viedos over IWP with Internet Explorer 8 and 9, Chrome and Firefox without any problems !

Conclusion, they told me that the problem is probably due to my configuration so now, for my customer, it's just my fault. But...

- It's not a layout problem, because with FileMaker Pro on both Mac and Windows, it always worked.
- It's not a network or server problem, because on my Mac with Safari, over IWP, MOV and MP4 are correctly played.
- It's not a basic IE configuration problem, because i can drag and drop the same video file on browser's window from my desktop and the QuickTime Plugin starts automatically to play the video.

After hours and hours on this problem, i didn't go one inch farther... Help me please or just test it and send me your results...

THANK YOU !

Fred

PS: Excuse-me for my bad english !

post-107912-0-93215100-1361273629_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your participation and connecting to my test database !

Now, here is the test results : they were all... NEGATIVES !!!

I really didn't understood why, with Safari and Firefox, that worked just fine in my in-house tests, none of you received any content.

First, i thought about an IP Port routage problem because with the FMSA's streaming, the 16000 IP Port is used. But, after modifying my router, the issue persisted.

Then, i found the reason why : your navigators attempted to receive contents from the private address of my server (example : 192.168.1.x) instead of his public address or the url that appears in address bar of the navigator (www.comptabase.net). Thanks to Firefox who displayed the internal address of my server when the streaming was executed !

As you think, i'm really not a network engineer… but it seems that this operation is not correct and i think that it is a FileMaker issue. When you are deploying FileMaker Server, the server's public address is not indicated and when you see the server's presentation, only internal addresses appears.

Do you have any explanation for me or it's clearly a bug from IWP/FMSA ?

Kind regards,
Fred

PS: I have found some interesting articles and i'm afraid :

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Future Visitor of this Thread :

If, as me, you think that it could be a GREAT opportunity to can stream content over internet with your favorite database system, that it have no equivalant in terms of low charges development,  low charges maintenance, fun developing an more, GO THERE :

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/268bed5742

And "Like"  :smile:  the linked thread.

That could indicate to FMI programmers that we are hard believing in the great technology they have made, and we want help them to bring it forward !

Bye, Fred

Do you have SSL enabled in your FileMaker Server settings? What ports have you forwarded through your firewall/router?

I can't remember the exact scenario, but I once saw that container data was sent over port 16001 or 16002. I think it was when SSL was enabled, but like I said, I'm not certain.

IWP is supposed to use port 16001 or 16002 to stream, or so I have learned the past few weeks.   :grad:   I tried every combination of settings to get this to work.  Nothing.  And the main reason is, the remote user's browsers is trying to ping an internal IP Address, instead of the external IP Address ( that then gets routed to the internal IP ).

There is a screenshot on the forums at FileMaker.com that shows the browser is looking for the content at 192.168.xxx.xxx.  So it works fine internally, but not outside the network.

Do you have SSL enabled in your FileMaker Server settings? What ports have you forwarded through your firewall/router?

I can't remember the exact scenario, but I once saw that container data was sent over port 16001 or 16002. I think it was when SSL was enabled, but like I said, I'm not certain.

This topic is 4033 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.