Server Maintenance This Week. ×

General and relationship questions

This topic is 4073 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey everyone, 

I'm new to FM, just downloaded the trial this Monday and I have been reading the tutorials and trying to see if it's a good fit for me. I'm in a research lab where we deal with a lot of data, and a lot of it needs to reference other data. My first problem is making a solution to creating subfolders- we start with a bunch of wafers and I I have them and their info on a spreadsheet. Then we dice each of these wafers into 4, and for each group of 4 pieces we subject to different procedures. It basically turns out being like a phylogenic tree. I need a way to create all of the subfolders in FileMaker but I don't know how. 

And then comes the problems of creating relationships. We send these pieces to different companies to have other procedures done, and I need to be able to references these images and documents across to procedures we have done. This all seems very daunting, even the FM customer support could not help me. If someone could at least point me in the right direction, or have a suggestion for another database software that migth be able to better handle my needs, that would be great. Thanks!

A complex data model (if yours truly is) is not a limitation of the software. It is a matter of creating the proper structure to support it. I would suggest writing out requirements in bullet points or working backwards from reports.

This topic is 4073 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.