Tabs in Calculations

Jo Hunt

This topic is 8304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Does anyone know how to set a tab within a calculation field? I am exporting data for import into Quark Express using xpress tags. I have set my tag for a tab but I need to physically set the tab. I have set up a calculation field for my tag information which contains a zip code and phone number that I want separated by a tab with fill dot leaders. Hope this is not too confusing. Thanks http://[email protected]

A lot of special characters that can't be keyboard generated can be copied and pasted into FM successfully. Often they show up in calculation as a blank, but are really there. A good option is to use a global text field (gTab) as a container to store them for use and just use & gTab & to add them to a calculation field. Now, as to how to get the character to copy, on the Mac there is a freeware app called Character Assassins that allows you to specify an ASCII character and copy it to the clipboard (tab is one that works when pasted into a calculation). Look for it at www.downloads.com, or failing that, email me and I'll send it to you. On Windows machines I'm pretty sure you can copy a tab to the clipboard from some system utility, MS Word, MS Excel, etc.

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

A lot of special characters that can't be keyboard generated can be copied and pasted into FM successfully. Often they show up in calculation as a blank, but are really there. A good option is to use a global text field (gTab) as a container to store them for use and just use & gTab & to add them to a calculation field.

-bd

On a Mac, to get a tab character into the gTab field you can also press Option-Tab. Don't know if there is something similar on a PC.

M

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Lye ]

This topic is 8304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.