Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM12 Server and Update External MySQL Via ESS

This topic is 3975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to know if FM Server 12 can update a external MySQL db in the same manner as the client can using ODBC connection (ESS). It works great when running the scripts on the client, but seem like it won't work in the same manner via server and server scripting.

I am using all relevant drivers and it does work with my solution, but I'm looking to move, automate and schedule this process to the server itself.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

FMServer cannot actually see other FMServers, and presumably on that basis ESS based connections to SQL sources.

I recently tested this by trying to import data between 2 FMServers. The import records command yields error 100 (File is missing), although this does work when run using FMPro.

I don't know the true technical reasons behind this, but certainly looks like the fmnet: protocol has been removed from FMS.

Have you though about running a 'redundant' slave FMPro with an OnTimer script, or even a scheduled OS task.

Well, first, files hosted on one FileMaker Server can access data in files on other FileMaker Servers, providing that the file references (external data sources) are correctly set.

That said, not all actions work as you might expect.  And that specifically includes direct import.  An intermediate text file is usually needed to do this. or, you can use a looping script to create records.

Finally, ESS access may not be fully supported for server side actions.  You may need to experiment some.  Try the looping script on a small set of data from the ESS file (via a table alias on the Graph) and see what you can do with that.

Steven

This topic is 3975 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.