Unable to connect an external data source to Filemaker Pro

This topic is 3944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

Currently I am trying to connect an external Data source (actually its a web browser/page) to Filemaker Pro 12.

The external data source is connected to my Macbook Pro via a LAN cable.

I researched in the net and found out that ODBC is required. I downloaded it and tried to connect but unsuccessful.

One of the issues I'm facing is, I do not know what platform the web page is developed from , i.e Microsoft SQL, MySQL, Oracle or Open Office Databases. I could not get the information as its third-party application.

So I tried using each and everyone of the database platforms in the hope of connecting through.

When I tried using Microsoft SQL and MySQL, after I setup the ODBC connection, a dialog box 'Actual SQL Server Login' appears when I clicked on the 'Test'. I have no idea whats the login or password. I tried using the login and password used to access the web browser but its of no use.

The connection is not established.

I am unsure whether I am heading in the right direction or otherwise.

Kindly advice.

Thanks

Titano

With anything, including FileMaker, you can not just connect something with anything on the net. FileMaker has the ability to connect to another data source using its ESS, importing, etc. With ESS, you can use connect "live" to another MySQL, Oracle, or MS SQL table but of course only when you have permissions with an account that can do so.

Hi,

In that case how do i connect to the webpage? I only have the ip address.

Is there any way to connect the webpage to filemaker pro?

The webpage has data stored in .csv format. I am trying to pull that data into Filemaker pro as real time data so that I could monitor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Titano

Hi,

In that case how do i connect to the webpage? I only have the ip address.

Is there any way to connect the webpage to filemaker pro?

The webpage has data stored in .csv format. I am trying to pull that data into Filemaker pro as real time data so that I could monitor.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Titano

You cannot connect to a web page.

Each time you view the csv file, a process on the web server has probably performed a find in a database and returned the results formatted correctly. Which means the file does not constantly get updated (or even exist).

The ideal situation is to get direct access to the database that's behind the web site.

I dont know if this would work in your case but if it is a downloadable file or you can get where the file is located, you may be able to try and Insert it into a container field using Insert from URL [], then export it to a local location, then import the data into a table.

Hi, 

'Insert from URL' is working now. I am now able to download that info via this function. Thanks a lot.

If there is  a 'Power On' and 'Power Off' functions in the web page, how can i create scripts in Filemaker Pro to control those switches?

PLs advise.

Thanks and Regards

Titano

Hi,

The web page has a few switch buttons which are used to stop, pause, resume an operation.

How can I operate these switch buttons remotely from elsewhere by using Filemaker Pro?

Please advise

Thanks and Regards

Titano

This topic is 3944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.