Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker and HTTPS Post of XML Data

stanley

This topic is 3944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All:

I have recently had a query from a colleague where he wants to exchange data with FileMaker Server via HTTPS Post of xml data.

Has anyone been able to set something like this up, as a two-way data exchange? I imagine that it might not be possible via HTTPS, but perhaps as HTTP?

Any suggestions are welcome, as I have not seen any evidence that this is possible.

Thanks in advance

Stanley

Hi Wim

Ah, yes, the xml API. Not something I've used very much, I have to admit.

The scenario is this: we have an external system (based on who-knows-what, probably SAP) whose admin wants to exchange transaction-based data with one of our FileMaker 11 systems, running on FMS. By this I mean he wants to set it up so that when an order is processed in his system, data is pushed out to our FMP system, and then when that data is modified in a specific way in FMP, we push data back out to his system.

Normally when we do this with external systems, we use a file-exchange process, where we dump data for individual transactions into separate xml files on an SFTP server, where the receiving system is responsible for picking up the data and then moving the xml files to an archive. I like this because it leaves such a clear audit trail, and because the raw data is always there for debugging purposes. However, this time, the other side wants to send everything via HTTP Post, as I wrote before.

Before I go any further, can you clarify something for me: is FMS and the xml API capable of encryption (as in HTTPS?)

Any other advice on where to begin with this whole thing is much appreciated.

Thanks

Stanley

Hi Wim

Thanks for that info. I'll dig deeper into the API to see what we need to do there.

Stanley

This topic is 3944 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.