Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Log clients out automatically after set time?

This topic is 3905 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi all

We're using some business software developed and running under Filemaker Server 11, and the clients are running Filemaker Pro 10.

The company that developed the software, of course, wants to maximize the number of user licenses they can sell us, so doesn't have much interest in helping us with this enquiry. So I'm asking if it's generally possible - can Filemaker clients be logged off automatically after a set period of inactivity?

Thanks

Gary

• Newbies

Thanks, noob question - can this be done at the server, or do I have to do it at each desktop client? I've looked both places and it appears on the client, but it's grayed out. Not sure if I've got some "special edition" provided by the software provider, or if this setting is greyed out due to permissions at the server level. I'm the admin and I have access to the main admin password.

Edited by Gary Smith

Editing the privilege set can be done with your admin password at any workstation that can access the database.  After logging in, select File->Manage->Security... and select the Privilege Set dialog.  Double-click each privilege set name you want to change, and check the "Disconnect user from FileMaker Server when idle" checkbox.  If you can't access the settings, odds are your admin user privileges are not [Full Access] and have been limited by the developer.

Setting the timeout value is done from the Server Admin Console.  If the file is served by a third-party hosting service, you may have to contact your server host to gain access to this.

• Newbies

> If you can't access the settings, odds are your admin user privileges are not [Full Access] and have been limited by the developer.

Yep, that appears to be the case. I guess I'll have to resume carping at the developer about this. Thanks anyway, and it's helpful to know that it's technically possible if they were willing to do it.

This topic is 3905 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.