After choosing value from conditional list...then ?

Netmole

This topic is 3880 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Folks,  I’m new to Filemaker and cannot figure how to get past a particular point using conditional value lists.  I understand the conditional value list and have it working.  It’s a two table file.  One table has all the values and fields where we have Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner in a Menu table.  A second table called Order has all the food choices related to the Menu table.  Here is where I need help.  What I want to be able to do is when I click on my final related selection—say Lunch...Hot Dog—is have a couple of windows (fields, portals?) be available to enter narrative data into  to fully describe the second object chosen—the Hot Dog.  One window entry could describe the history of hot dogs and another window display various facts about its nutrition.  The narratives might be several paragraphs long.  The entered narrative would, of course, remain persistent in the file.  Please point me in the direction on setting this up.

Menu.zip

I created a table called "Paragraphs" which has two fields [item] and [Paragraph].

On the 'order' layout I added a portal which shows the related record for your paragraph description.

When you change the item the description will change.

I added a "Paragraph" layout where you can add the paragraph description for your item.

Hope this helps.

adjustedMenu.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3880 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.