Using MirrorSync to sync PROD data to changed TEST db?

This topic is 3840 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm struggling to figure out the best way to migrate a development system up thru TEST and then PROD instances.  Basically I want an easy way to get all the data added to my production database while I've been busy developing on my development database (which was cloned from prod).  Assuming I don't modify any of the synced fields could I expand a FM database (add tables, layouts, scripts) then run mirrorsync on the dev copy?  Of course STEP TWO would be to move the dev copy to the production FM server, delete all the MirroSync elements and re-do them so as to include any new tables I created.  Anyone see a problem with this or are there more refined ways to do change control? 

Jeff 

Jeff,

I'm not sure I understand entirely what the scenario is. This is what it sounds like to me, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

It sounds like you want to take all the data that has been added to the live production file while you've been working on the dev file, and move it over TO the dev file. Is that correct?

The way MirrorSync works, if you add tables, fields, layouts, etc... MirrorSync will still continue to sync the tables, fields, layouts, etc that were originally configured to sync. Adding schema does not affect a current sync; however, renaming or removing fields will break the sync, so be careful with doing that.

If I have the scenario correct, then the answer would be yes, as long as the dev copy contains at least all of the fields you want to sync from the production copy, then MirrorSync may be very helpful to move data from the production version to the dev version.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,

• Newbies

Yes- I wanted to avoid having to copy / regenerate the new schema from development into production (in addition to taking prod offline for long enough to do it).  So thanks-- Mirror sync seems like a great way to do this as long as I don't mess with any of the sync'd schema!  Thank You!

Jeff

This topic is 3840 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.