Connecting with FileMaker Pro 12

mdavis6537

This topic is 3839 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello - new user to FM here, and have some questions.

I am wanting to work with another person to create a filemaker data base. Our two computers are not on the same local area network. So I have some questions,

Without buying filemaker Server, can we:

• Both work on a filemaker database project - editing layouts, etc?
  • Use my computer to essentially be the "Server" and allow other computers to remotely access the data base, including iPads / iPhones?

We intent to buy the server later, but due to cost we want to ge this off the ground and working first. Thanks in advance!

The answer to both questions is yes. However, I'd propose a couple of alternatives:

1. use a FileMaker hosting service such as oditech.com or foxtailtech.com etc. Cost is relatively low, and your remote user would get much better speed.

2. purchase the developer membership on FileMaker Technet for $99, which includes a development 3-user license of Server Advanced. Your remote connection speed wouldn't be as good as a hosting service, and you'd still have to deal with DNS, firewalls, and keep your host computer always on -- but at least you'd get the benefit of automated backups and crash protection, plus you could test server features that you might end up using.

This topic is 3839 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.