Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help Setting up for Sync of records for specific user

This topic is 3778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to be able to have just a technicians schedule and related records (ie customer info, invoice, etc.) synced down to local copy and am a bit confused as to how to set this up.

Example:

Joe Blow opens file on iPad while out in the field and needs to get his schedule of jobs for the day. With this schedule he needs to see customer information (customer table), what work needs to be done (job table), various survey information (survey and cleaning tables). During the job he will enter work done on boxes (boxes table), create an invoice (invoice, invoice items, inventory tables), etc.

I'd like it that when he marks the job as complete it automatically syncs that one record back to the server.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be awesome. Thanks!

First you have to get info into the iPad. Differentiate between info for current jobs and background info.

The second can be done by an initialization import cleans out the applicable tables and then imports fresh info from the server. This is info that does not travel back and forth with each job, but is necessary for the field tech to have for one reason or another.

For current job info, you have the ipad contact the server and either through an auto process or by manual selection, bring work from the server into the iPad. Depending on structure, you may be importing records crom many different tables.

Sending back is different. Again, either with an autoselect or user selection, the work completed is selected. The server is contacted and the server does and import/update or records. So, if the record exists, it is updated on the server. If it is a new record belonging to that job, it is imported, creating a new record on the server.

I use two files on an iPad for this. The first is the working file for the field rep. It never talks out. The second is the import export file. It has relationships to both the server and the local iPad file and all import export work is done between table occurrances in this file.

The other thing I do in a synch situation is mark the record on the server asmout somit cannot be altered,while on the iPad. Conversely, when dat is brought back into to server, I destroy the associated recordson the iPad.

This is a really brief synopsis of a complex topic and I do not claim it is the absolute best way. However, I have used it and it does work.

I am doing this from an iPad, so please excuse the typos that will be in here.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I need to be able to have just a technicians schedule and related records (ie customer info, invoice, etc.) synced down to local copy and am a bit confused as to how to set this up.

Example:

Joe Blow opens file on iPad while out in the field and needs to get his schedule of jobs for the day. With this schedule he needs to see customer information (customer table), what work needs to be done (job table), various survey information (survey and cleaning tables). During the job he will enter work done on boxes (boxes table), create an invoice (invoice, invoice items, inventory tables), etc.

I'd like it that when he marks the job as complete it automatically syncs that one record back to the server.

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be awesome. Thanks!

Sorry for the very late response - this is now very easy to do with MirrorSync 2.

Just modify the 'MirrorSync customization' script and add a search to limit for the current user.

This is documented here:

http://docs.360works.com/index.php/MirrorSync_advanced_topics#Customizing_MirrorSync

MirrorSync 2 is free for a single device.

This topic is 3778 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.