Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sliding Fields & Shrinking Parts

This topic is 8640 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

In the body of a report, a record contains two rows of information. Sometimes there is no information in the second row so I don't want to leave a blank space in the second row. Ideally I'd like the next record to move up.

I've tried sliding and it still leaves a space for the phantom second row. I tried inserting a find command in the report script to eliminate the blank second row, but then it did not include the whole record because of the second row.

I thought I read that you could shrink a section, but can't figure out how to do it or if this is a solution.

Any ideas would be most welcome! Thanks!!!

quote:

Originally posted by JLPSch:

In the body of a report, a record contains two rows of information. Sometimes there is no information in the second row so I don't want to leave a blank space in the second row. Ideally I'd like the next record to move up.

I've tried sliding and it still leaves a space for the phantom second row. I tried inserting a find command in the report script to eliminate the blank second row, but then it did not include the whole record because of the second row.

Two suggestions.

One is to put the items in to a single block of text using merge fields. This makes dealing with sliding objects a little easier since you only have one to deal with.

The other is to completely redo the layout, as you may have something setup incorrectly for sliding to work right. Often recreating the layout allows you to fix this.

Also, I would recommend picking up a good 3rd party book on Filemaker Pro. Sliding is a pretty complex thing to get working, but once you learn it, it becomes second nature. The books usually do a better job of teaching you the finer points of this.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.database-resources.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8640 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.