Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Go to next object using....

This topic is 3718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I imagine I'll be spending quite a bit of time in this forum for a while.  I'm just starting to work with WebDirect so questions will abound.

The "Go to next object using" setting doesn't seem to have an effect in WebDirect.    In Pro,  it allows us to go to next object when the user hits Tab, Return, and Enter thereby disallowing carriage returns in fields.    In WebDirect,  even with "Return" and "Enter" selected in the Inspector for the field,  it enters a carriage return. 

I even went so far as to change the field type to "Number" to see if that was a work around.  Alas,  even a number field allows carriage returns in WebDirect.

I don't see this documented anywhere, so here I am.    Anyone have a work around or am I missing something? 

Hi Matt and David,

Turns out only the tab key is supported for inter-field nav in WD.  I remembered reading that somewhere and just found it on p. 32 of the "FileMaker 13 WebDirect Guide."

A couple other relevant items from that document:

• from page 10: "Many tasks such as CSS cascading, determining focus, propagating events, and tabbing are ultimately controlled by the web browser and behave differently than in FileMaker Pro. For example, FileMaker WebDirect intercepts Tab key presses and sends them to the Database Server to determine the next object in the layout’s tab order. But at some point, pressing the Tab key exits the webpage and enters the web browser’s interface (for example, the address bar)."

• and from page 41: "The tab order might vary from the tab order in FileMaker Pro. Different browsers might support the tab order in a different manner."

hth,

Mark

BTW, far be it for me to throw one of those snarky RTFM responses at you, but (if you haven't already perused it) I can't recommend the WebDirect Guide highly enough.  A lot of useful tips in there re performance tuning and behavior differences from the FMP app as client.

• Like 2

This topic is 3718 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.