Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Security options for FM Server to FM Go connections

This topic is 3722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I apologize for what is a NOOB question.

I've set up my FMP Server on a Mac Mini.  I only have a single database.  I've set up my port forwarding and static IP so I can access it remotely with FM Go.  Everything is working as expected.

I've set up myself as the sole user on the account...with a full access privilege set.  When I log into FM Go (let's say for the first time), I enter my servers IP address, which then gives me my list of available databases.  I click on the database I want to access, and I'm then prompted for my credentials.

My question is...is this best practice?  If not...suggestions please.

My idea of a best use scenario would be:
1. Enter my server IP address in FM Go
2. Be prompted for credentials to access server
3. These credentials are stored in FM Go...so I don't have to enter them again.
4. Have access to the databases on that server without having to enter additonal credentials.

Is this 'best use' possible?  Or even plausible?

Thanks...Brett

what you are describing is how the keychain on OSX works.  Purely from a security point of view that is not ideal because if you lose your device and do not have good security for using it (lock screen,...) then your data is up for grabs.

So the question is not one of best practice but of how much your data is worth.  Only you can decide what the impact is of your data being compromised, what the risk is etc.  And you decide what security measures to implement to alleviate and mitigate that risk.

Knowing full well that security and convenience do not go hand-in-hand,

Thank you @ Wim...

With that in mind...if I did decide to set up my iOS devices in that manner, how would I go about doing it?  As I said...NOOB! Sorry.

What I'm thinking is that my iPhone has the fingerprint sensor and I'm hoping Apple will be updating the iPad Air to a fingerprint sensor version soon too...and then I'll trade in my 'old' iPad Air.

With regards to my data...it's pretty specialized but non-sensitive.  I can't imagine ANYBODY benefiting from it or being able to use it.

This topic is 3722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.