Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto Detect I.P from Local or Server

This topic is 3696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I just create an application that connects to server remotely.  However, when I bring my application to the place where the server server resides, the connection is slow.  Because the data from the application has to connect to the server from outside than travel back inside.  The data also travel through the firewall.  

Is there a way in filemaker to auto detect the i.p. whether the server is near your computer locally or outside?  

Thanks.

K.C.

K.C. - Howdy from Texas!  

I have users who connect both from inside and outside my firewall(s).  

For starters, my user's point their database connection to "database.mydomain.com".

The company's router has an external IP of 101.221.3.51.

Externally, the DNS (which I am hosting at someplace like godaddy.com or no-ip.com) points "database.mydomain.com" to 101.221.3.51.   

When my user walks into the building and is connected to the LAN, the DHCP server hands out a local IP AND the address to the local DNS server (my network's domain server).     

Internally, my local DNS (on LAN) resolves "database.mydomain.com" to the local "LAN" IP address of the Filemaker Server (10.0.2.4).  

So, the short of it is that you need an external DNS AND an internal DNS so that the routing will do what you expect.

regards...

Bob

This topic is 3696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.