Really basic question about page numbering

Iaxe629

This topic is 3698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I've just been given a project to produce statement from Filemaker 6!

The only bit I'm struggling with is page numbering. Most statements are on page so no problem there - I've set page numbering to restart after each occurrence - so each is numbered as page1. The problem I have is when the summary breaks across two pages, each is still numbered as page1. Is there any way - in filemaker6 or newer versions - to get the second page to have the number 2?

Thanks in advance

Iaxe

First let me say that I'm impressed that you can run 13 year old software (FMP 5.5) on a modern Windows OS (v8). :)  That certainly wouldn't work in the Mac world where we went from PowerPC architecture, to carbonized apps on Intel chips, and then from 32-bit to 64-bit machines, over that time span.

Did you really want your summary to break across two pages?  If not then deselect the option "allow part to break across page boundaries" on the Part Definition (or under 'Part Setup').  

I'm not sure about FMP v5 on Windows.  However, FM Pro v.6 and later on Macs, an automatic page number symbol (##) ({{pagenumber}} for FMP ≥ v12) will correctly translate into the the correct page number in Preview mode or while printing, regardless of whether the summary part spans a page break.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

First let me say that I'm impressed that you can run 13 year old software (FMP 5.5) on a modern Windows OS (v8). :)  That certainly wouldn't work in the Mac world where we went from PowerPC architecture, to carbonized apps on Intel chips, and then from 32-bit to 64-bit machines, over that time span.

Did you really want your summary to break across two pages?  If not then deselect the option "allow part to break across page boundaries" on the Part Definition (or under 'Part Setup').  

I'm not sure about FMP v5 on Windows.  However, FM Pro v.6 and later on Macs, an automatic page number symbol (##) ({{pagenumber}} for FMP ≥ v12) will correctly translate into the the correct page number in Preview mode or while printing, regardless of whether the summary part spans a page break.

Matthew, Thanks very much for the reply. It's helped with a very frustrating project - which I got finished a couple of hours before before the deadline. 

Yep, it's amazing FP6 still runs on Windows 8. It's also amazing someone is still using it but, I guess that's a great testament the the software.

I'm going to try another post asking for alternatives to using the built in columnar reports - probably with portals - so any help there will be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Iaxe

This topic is 3698 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.