Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrading from FileMaker Server 11 Advanced to FileMaker Server 13

This topic is 3692 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our company currently uses FileMaker Server 11 Advanced on our server and all of our Mac's and PC's run FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced.  We also use SuperContainer and DocuBin and the plug-in CNS Audit.

Last year we were going to upgrade to FileMaker Server 12 and never got around to it so we are still using 11.

We would like to upgrade to FileMaker Server 13 and also upgrade all of our Mac's and PC's to FileMaker Pro 13 Advanced.

Does anyone know what issues I might run into in upgrading to FileMaker Server 13 considering we use SuperContainer, DocuBin, and CNS Audit?

Thanks,

Susie

Your profile says OSX 10.5: absolutely check out the minimum OS and hardware requirements for FM13 and FMS13, your machines my not be compatible.

Check with the plugin vendors to see if they have FM13-compatible versions, factor in that you may need to upgrade (pay).

Set up a test conversion and test server and test the solution well before the actual go-live

In addition to Wim's excellent advice, I would counsel you carefully to consider the specifications for your Server machine.  Depending on whether you employ the new WebDirect™ or not, you will need a very robust server.  Please come back with more questions if you have them.

Steven

I wasn't aware that the CNS Audit plugin was server compatible?  I could be wrong, but if not, then this isn't a consideration for a Server upgrade.  If you're planning on upgrading the clients as well, then you should be OK to continue using this plugin, since the clients are still 32 bit.  CNS is very good about replying back to me, so a quick email to them asking about 13 compatibility with FM Pro would be easy. 

As far as the SuperContainer and Docubin softwares - I believe the vendor has already come out with 64 bit/ FM13 compatible versions.  Again, this vendor is very easy to work with, and probably an email/phone call about compatibility will solve a lot of issues and questions. 

I definatley agree with Wim - test, test test.  There is enough architecture changes with FM13 Server that you want to make sure you iron out anything that wasn't foreseeable.  Especially with using the 360Work softwares. I know that I stumbled across a lot of things before putting into production.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your advice.  I did contact CNS Audit and it is not server compatible but I think I found something that is. I am looking into SyncDek.

I am also currently in the process of speaking to 360 Works about DocuBin and SuperContainer. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before the big upgrade.  Will definitely set up a test server before going live as suggested earlier!

This topic is 3692 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.