Display multiple records in a Portal

lansdowne

This topic is 3695 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a novice learning Filemaker.I have a database for Horse racing(attached) and have come to a halt at 2 problems.

1.) In the Horse Layout I want to be able to type the Horse name in the box and have their past performances displayed in the Portal.

The second is a bit too advanced I feel for me at the moment as I think it requires some scripting. In the daily races I would like the last 3 runs of each horse displayed in a Portal as shown in the word document attached. I don't know whether this is possible and would appreciate any assistance.

many thanks

Davey H

RATEFORM.zip

I don't see a "Daily Races" layout or table in your solution.  Are you going to add that?  Will this indicate, of the hundreds of horses, for which ones you want to list the last three races?  I agree, it will take a bit of scripting to get what you want.  One way to think about it is: How would you do it manually without a script?  You would probably create a check box field, search for the horses of interest, and then check off the three most recent raises.  You would then limit your found set to those horses with check marks.  A script following the same logic should work fine.  

You could view these in a List View or Table View style of layout, but a related table with a portal would also work, if you use the check box as one of the match criterial in the relationship graph. 

Many thanks for your reply Matthew.

I apologise for my misleading post. The "daily runners" are in the Decs(Declarations) table. Each race Has primary keys etc and the race time and runners. Perhaps that is not the correct way to store them?

In my original Database  all Tables are automatically updated from Excel. It has taken me a year from scratch working between both programmes to get thus far, and although it's not much I'm pleased with where I am.The new turf season is just starting here(UK)  and I was hoping to be further forward than I am but getting time to sit down and learn is difficult. Eventually I aim to have a dropdown calendar with boxes for Course and racetime to bring up each race individually to view the ratings.

I would like the latest 3 runs of each horse  as per the word doc with the possibility of sorting the rating. I have been reading up and watching fm videos but am still

trying to grasp the correct method to do this

Any advice would be gratefully accepted. This time next year I could be a millionaire!! (LOL)

Davey H

Matthew

Sorry for the delay in replying I'm tied down (not literally!!) with work and family. Many thanks for the file. I'm quite excited to see it, even more interested in studying what you have done and try to understand it. Hopefully it will be a step forward in my FM education. Hope you won't mind me getting back to you if I need additional advice.

Many thanks for your time.

Davey H

This topic is 3695 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.