Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Remote container storage ~ network storage

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I want to have fm server be able to store files via a container on a network share point so that computers that are outside our network be able to view them. At the same time not be able to view other files that are private. I got all this working on a version of fm12, then ported it over to fm server 12 to only find out about the limitation of storing container data in the same folder as the fm files.

I did some research and found other people where having this issue, but all the posts where old. Does anyone know.

a. Is there a work around for fm server 12?

b. Is this now supported on fm 13 server?

Thanks

Drew

• Newbies

Hi,

a) You perhaps could on FMS12, base your media contents on a web address pointing to the shared storage and then view the container inside a web viewer.

Or mount the remote network storage on file open inside the opening script through a plug-in, so the desired folders and files would be available just after being logged into the DB.

B) With FMS13, you should not have this issue, because you can now store container data on a different drive than the database files.

:cool: With FMS13, you should not have this issue, because you can now store container data on a different drive than the database files.

Not true.  While you now CAN store remote container data  on a different drive, it is still a bad idea to share those folders and let other users / processes touch those container data files.

The purpose of the Remote Container feature is not to have a Document Management system that can be used *outside* of FM.  FMS should have exclusive control over the RC data, and just like you do not let anything touch hosted FM files, you do not let anything touch RC data files.

Otherwise unexpected things may happen, the least of which is incomplete backups.

To have the functionality you want, you can not use Remote Container storage.  Your only way out is to use "by reference" for container data.

Or use something like SuperContainer by 360Works

• Newbies

Since the purpose of the Remote container feature is not to have Document management outside of FM, what purpose is it then?

If Data is correctly managed, why does FM offer this feature if backing up the Data and serving it clean can't be guaranteed? (considering the administrator maintains the network availability).

Is it really that bad?

Since the purpose of the Remote container feature is not to have Document management outside of FM, what purpose is it then?

Enormous Increase in backup speeds, reduction in FM file sizes, reduction in hard disk usage (through the hard linking).

Read the documentation: the feature was never positioned as a document management system to allow for outside access.

if backing up the Data and serving it clean can't be guaranteed

Now, that's a huge jump you're making here.  As long as you use the product and the platform as it was intended for, there will be no issues.

Same goes for every single product out there.

You've misinterpreted the intention of a feature, no need to go straight into platform bashing.

• Newbies

Scary if you interpreted my replies as platform bashing, a pity I would do this, perhaps by explaining how I intend to use this feature would clarify both comprehension:

- Creating a database

- Putting externally stored container in the adequate fields

- taking advantage of the new feature and say to FMS the container data is stored on a remote drive.

- Access this data through the Database exclusively, that's what I initially thought and tried to mean with Document management outside FM.

Is this a good practice? Do you have better advices?

• Newbies

Thanks for the replys! Let me give you more detail on what I tring to do as I think others are wanting to set this up also and it would be great if fms could handle it.

The goal is to allows content to be downloaded only by the web for distribution. The issue of maintaining the file and allow people to move it or modify it is not needed. All I want is to able to give fms a file and have fms put it in one of two folders on a network storage system. One of these folders is public, the other is private.

Our current web server has a fm table that distributes digital assets per item to people who go to our website. So what I was wanting was to have fms just take the file, put it in the correct folder, then use the built in path as the location the file lives. This would allow a person with fmgo to take an image of an item, mark it public or private, and instantly get it up on the web.

My fear is that the container data file has to be in the same folder (or drive) as the fm file. If this is the case then I would be forced to put my fm files on a network storage or a raid, and that would be a performance hit, and a potential security issue.

Thanks

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.