creating a user interface portal and making it a stand alone

This topic is 8164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there everyone. i just love this forum. i learn so much from you all. i just wish that i can help someone as i grow with experience.

ok here is the question. my company has 6 offices in north america. our server is located in one city. our other offices log on to FM Server, and use our solutions. what i was wondering is posible to creat a runtime, and have pull information/add information to/from a multiuser solution? the reasoning for this is to create custom runtimes for different people in each city and have the runtimes put/pull information to specific multiuser solutions.

wow that was a mouth full. this is just an idea that i have been thinking of... well actually it's a good reason to get the powers that be to buy a copy of FM developer... 8)

Peter

Although runtimes created by Developer have no networking capabilities themselves, it is possible to access hosted databases from a runtime with plugins. I've only done very preliminary tests with this myself, but you might want to check out TCP Extra for Mac or DoHTTP for Windows. I believe links to both are available at www.fmplugins.com. The basic concept is that both plugins allow you to return HTTP results to a field, which can then be parsed within the runtime. Depending on how much data you are returning, this could be a lengthy/complicated process.

If you have the time/patience/ability, you can also build a cross-platform user interface with Flash, RealBasic, Revolution or some other RAD tool.

Food for thought...

This topic is 8164 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.