Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open files in native format from remote container

This topic is 3623 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our databases are stored in FMS13 and accessed by clients using FMP13.

Currently we use a container to store file references to Word and Excel files on our fileserver. Users can open the files in their native application by double clicking the file ref stored in the container.

I was hoping to use the remote container field function to make it easier for users to store and share files. However it seems that one cannot use remote containers to store just a file reference, which as far as I can tell is the only way to enable opening by double clicking.

I checked the container storage filepath in Filemaker Server and only those files which were inserted without the “file reference only” box checked are stored there.

I have the container field set up to “Store container data externally” with “Open Storage” selected.

Can someone confirm this for me? Or will I have to get users to “export field contents” to open a file?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is little old now as I guess you've now solved this - but as you know files are stored in container fields in either secure or open storage. In secure they are encrypted and must be exported for use (I create a button and script to get the result I want). In open storage you should not need to export - however, I don't think this is a recommended and secure way of file storage as it can lead to files becoming damaged. In secure storage FM keeps control of the file integrity, and therefore is recommended. Hope this helps in some way?

In open storage you should not need to export - however, I don't think this is a recommended and secure way of file storage as it can lead to files becoming damaged.

What is the source of this information (esp. the last part)?

This topic is 3623 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.