Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Add On Available for better Find & Replace functions and text editing?

Jaesin

This topic is 3524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking to make the switch from ACCESS to Filemaker 12, but am having a tough time on pulling the trigger.

My concern is the way Filemakers Find and Replace works, versus ACCESS.

In my use, I have to edit the text in fields pretty heavily, and having to bring up the find and replace window, use it, and then close it to select another field, has become quite annoying as well as much slower than having it already selected in ACCESS and then clicking into any field you want to make a change.

Is there a way to alter the Filemaker Find & Replace to stay permanent on the screen?

As mentioned allot of editing to the fields has to be done, moving data from a "description" filed into other fields and editing the data for consistency...,,

Could someone recommend an add on that would provide some higher level text editing functions within Filemaker?

Thanks for your help in advance.

FYI - I am using Filemaker 12 Advanced.

It's pretty quick to open the dialog box with ctrl-shift-F and close it with escape. But you probably knew that.

Find/Replace is scriptable, so you could try rolling your own version of the dialog that would sit on your layout or in a floating window.

What I'm picturing is a new layout, with a couple of global fields for entry of your find/replace text, and whatever other widgets you need. You'd launch it with a script that brings up a new window and goes to this layout.

http://fmhelp.filemaker.com/fmphelp_13/en/html/scripts_ref2.37.2.html#1027577

This topic is 3524 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.