Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrading Runtime Solution from fp7 to fmp12 files

SarahS

This topic is 3515 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a (separation model) runtime solution that was bound with FileMaker version 10 and is used by 20-30 persons around the world.  They (& I) consider the data they have input into the program as private.  I am currently upgrading the solution to use FileMaker 13 (which is obviously necessary to support users using newer OS!)  The two options I have thought of to upgrade the users and to save their data are:

1) For them to send me the data files & I will manually convert the files & import the data into the upgraded solution and rebind the solution to send back to them.  I have promised them that I will maintain the confidentiality of their data and only analyze it to the extent necessary to ensure it is completely & accurately converted & imported, however several of them are still not comfortable with that.

2) For them to sign up for a trial version of FileMaker 13 so they can convert the runtime data files themselves & then use those converted files to import the data into an upgraded runtime version (by script).  This is not my preference as it would require a lot of hand holding & is error-prone (and would sign them up for e-mail communications that they probably don't need/want).

Are there any other options to upgrade a runtime solution in which the user can transfer their data from fp7 runtime files to runtime fmp12 files?  If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make option #2 above a smooth & accurate transition process for the user?

Thank you!

This topic is 3515 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.