Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Starting Point 4.2 Released... Supports Barcodes....

This topic is 3473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Worlds Most Popular FREE FileMaker Solution Gets Major Update!

FM Starting Point 4.2 available today, now has full integrated support for barcode printing and scanning.   From searching for Contacts via barcode to adding line items to Invoices and Estimates, FMSP has you covered. 

We have partnered up with Geist Interactive (developer of Barcode Creator) to make this a reality. Currently, you can scan any barcode into FMSP and do a search or add line items but with Barcode Creator you have the power to generate and print barcodes on Invoices, Products, Labels, etc. 

While FMSP continues to be free, and offers scanning of barcode, user who want to create and print their own barcodes will want to make a one time purchase of Todd Geist's award winning Barcode creating software for $199. This is of course optional, but FMSP is wired and ready to accept the BarCode Creator software as soon as you purchase it.  A short video is available to show you how to install it.

We are excited to release this useful tool for your business needs. You can download FM Starting Point here (www.fmstartingpoint.com) for free. Please contact us with any questions you may have.

RCC Development Team
www.rcconsulting.com

Maybe I'm blind but where are the steps telling how to import a database from an earlier version of FMSP, 4.0, to this new 4.2 version? I see an import option under Preferences but it pertains to upgrading from version 3. 

As for scanning, I'm in a loop where if I scan in Invoices, it tells me I need to add the product first. If I just name the product and then attempt to scan the barcode it tells me "oops the invoice is not available".  It seems scanning the product first would be more logical than scanning to a line in an invoice. 

Does the third party $199 software give the ability to scan a barcode and have a new product created or at least the product details screen popup so info can be added?

Thanks in advance.

We'll post some instructions in the next couple of days.  - RC

Soarin,

Also...in most businesses... you needed to add product to the database before you start selling them.  

*** NEW in FMSP 4.2 *** There is a provision... if you are manually adding line items to invoices and estimates, and you need to create a new product.... ad-hoc... you can do that.  ---- But not with Scanning.

The process of scanning performs a search in the product database, and then adds that information to the the line items of the invoice.  Its does not search the internet for the item.

- Richard

Soaring,

We have 8 videos on Bar Code we are releasing this Week in our FileMaker Pro 13 Video Training Course.  www.learningfilemaker.com

- RC

So using your sample file in 4.2, I manually enter a product name, SKU and serial number but when i go to invoices and try to test scan that product's bar code, it tells me the product isn't entered. It shows serial number, sku number and id product, all blank, and says the product is not currently in the database.  ?

Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming barcode videos. I just updated my FMPRO 13 Video Training file.

Soarin,

The training videos for the purchasers are being posted over the next 5 days.  They are approx 9 of them.   That being said.  If you input the item, into products,  and input the SKU... then it should scan in fine.

I would use your scanner... to determine what the SKU is you are getting back from the bar code.   You didn't specify what barcode yu were scanning, how the barcode was generated, or what method you were using to scan it.

But you should scan the barcode into something else to confirm what is coming out.

We have been beating up FMSP 4.2v1 for a while and we cannot get it to fail with the camera on the iPad or with a typical Laser Bar code gun.

But we also verified that the bar code we were scanning was actually the one in the database.

- Richard

Thanks Richard. I am using a Retina Ipad Mini as my scanner. The labels come on product shipped to us by the customer. I got a couple products manually entered that were 12 and 13 digits and they scanned fine afterwards. I could go to Estimates and then scan with the Ipad and the item would populate the estimate.

The labels in this format: 123456 A1 B1, did not work neither with nor without spaces. Lot numbers and package numbers were not entered nor did they have their own barcodes. 

So right now, at least it's working. Maybe as your videos are released, they will help with these other formats.

Regards.

Soarin,

The bottom line is that you need to do some testing... by scan the barcodes into a basic field in FileMaker ... and see exactly what kind of data is coming back... so you can make a comparison between the SKU itself... and the data coming back from the barcode.   From there you can decide which direction you want to go.

I am not seeing what is happening with your situation... so I cannot provide guidance.   But I would compare the print out to the Barcode, and see what the barcode returns. If the barcode does not activate at all... then it is using a different... non-supported format.

- Richard

Soarin,

You need a Quickie FMGO tool to read the barcode to see Exactly...what your getting back.  FMSP... isn't rigged for that.  It assumes you have your barcode plan worked out.   So check out the attached file... and use that with FM GO to scan any bar code to see exactly what you get back.

Desktop:

http://www.learningfilemaker.com/downloads/Test_Barcode.zip

iOS Download:

http://www.learningfilemaker.com/downloads/Test_Barcode.fmp12

Very simple sample file.

- RC

Richard,

Thanks for this. I didn't see it till this evening so can't give it a try till morning. One label yesterday had 3 stacked barcodes. The middle was turned out to be the SKU but the top and bottom didn't scan. Can't wait to see what this tool says about the other two. There have been some other labels that won't scan so curious to see what this shows.

BTW, I'm finding the Ipad Retina Mini to be a FAST scanner. I don't even have time to position it. It's read the code, most times, before I even get the thing in position. Incredibly fast.

I'll let you know it goes.

S

Very enlightening little tool. Showed me barcodes that included info from other areas of the label surprisingly assembled as one long number. For example, from above,123456 A1 B1, and separate area Pallet 007 (printed only no barcode) was recognized as 123456A1B1P007. A Big help with learning this so thanks. Now if only I can import this database into 4.2, lol.

wow those were some crazy steps going from 4.1 database back to old_FM Starting Point 3 for importing but remembering to import into the 4.2 file then renaming it to what I wanted to name it but hey, it worked. beer and head shakes later, it worked.  the scanning is awesome so far. thanks!

now if only geist, who i never heard of till this release, would only rerun that 25% off special again, for us 99%'ers, lol. 

This topic is 3473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.