Access to files on Host

GibCo

This topic is 8050 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Using FM 5.5 as multiuser with three computers linked with AppleTalk...I think!

???-)

I have login file with same passwords as my FM database.

Users open login file from work stations, FM Open=> Host=> Open login file =>enter appropriate password.

Once in login file, they give their username and unique login password. If that checks out, they can click to go on into the FM db. The password entered when they opened the login file, is set into the password for the db and then opens it with the appropriate access privileges as setup in db.

HERE's the problem:

When this is done on the host computer, it works perfectly all users, all passwords.

When the login is opened from one of the other two computers on the network, it works perfectly for the first 4 highest level passwords BUT when the other passwords are entered, it will allow only them to enter their appropriate built-in password and open the login file. They are not allowed access to the db.

They can enter their username and unique login password. They are accepted and then when they click to go to the db they get this message:

This password does not enable you to perform this operation.

When I check the access privileges, it seems that if they are allowed to Delete records, they can get through. If the Delete is disabled, they are blocked.

When going to the db, it is a simple OPEN db filename.

The Opening script has no delete in it. It just checks to see if file has been opened before. That determines which opening layout.

I am frustrated. Spent about 10 hours reading FM Forum postings and nothing seems to be anything like my problem. I would appreciate any direction as to looking for a solution to my problem. I feel I all so close to what I want...but yet so far away!

Bev

I had something similar happen. I think the access information is corrupted. Try changing the access and then change it back to the original setting. This should, hopefully, restore the settings.

HUMMMM...That is interesting. I have changed the access privileges more than once but I have not tried completely deleting them and starting over. What can it hurt?? I have bundled up a set of test files and sent them to FMP Tech Support to see what they think. The guy I talked to seemed to think what I was doing should work. He said I might have just overlooked something OR I might have found a FMP ISSUE that they would need to work on. I sure hope it is something I missed and not a FMP bug that will prevent me from doing what I am trying to do! Thanks for your input.

This topic is 8050 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.