Creating a different checklist for each record

eflouret

This topic is 3419 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Sorry, I´m absolute new to FileMaker.

I'm trying to create a checklist like those found in collectible trading cards.

Each record in my database has a collection of trading cards.

Each collection has a different number of cards.

So, when I enter the size of a collection, let´s say 127, I need Filemaker pro to create a checklist with 127 numbered checkboxes on the fly.

I need the checkbox list to be functional, that is, when I click an a checkbox, it performs a simple inventory calculation.

Is that possible? I hope it is!

I speak Spanish, sorry, if I didn´t explain myself correctly let me know and I will try again.

Thanks!

Enrique

Can you explain a little more what your solution is about (I know nothing about "collectible trading cards")? It is possible to create the mechanism you describe, but it doesn't sound like a very useful thing to have. There's not much you will be able to do with data stored this way.

• Newbies

Yes, thanks.

For example, I have a database of trading cards collection.

Each collection has a diffente amount of cards.

Let´s say that collection #1 (Batman 1966 series) has 99 trading cards. But I don´t own all of them, so I need to create numbered list from #1 to #99 to mark which ones I own and which ones I don´t. So that´s what a check list is for.

The problem is that for each record I need a different checklist. Some collections have 99 cards, some other 127, etc. So for each record I need to enter the size of the checklist and Filemaker pro has to create a checklist of that size.

Something like the image I´m attaching here. 

I also need, if possible, to perform an inventory calculation for each record, based on the items checked on the list.

Checklist-Serie-No-4.jpg

The problem with your solution is that all it can record about card X in collection Y is the fact that you have it. There's no room to record when you acquired it, how much did you pay for it, in what condition is it ... or even how many items do you own, in case there's more than one.

A card is an entity with its own attributes, and (for your purposes) metadata like datePurchased, inPossession and other stuff I happen to know collectors like/need to put on record; as such, it should have its own table, so you can record all these data.

See here for a quick'n'dirty solution.

PS: Please update your profile so responders can take into account your actual FM version and OS.

Collectibles_eos.fmp12.zip

• Newbies

Hey, thanks both you for your input.  As soon as I can I will check that solution you attached and making each card a single entity is the way to go.

But in this case, I want something more simple. Let's say this:

FIELD: TOTAL CARDS in collection (user input # of cards)

FIELD: Checklist (auto generated checklist from user input. Each number with a functional checkbox).

FIELD: CARDS I HAVE (auto generated count value from the checked numbers in the checklist)

FIELD: CARDS MISSING (auto generated count value from TOTAL CARDS minus CARDS I HAVE) 

That's it. 

Know this is very basic, but I handle collections of several hundreds items and it is prone to error, and takes a long time, to type a list of numbers manually in a text box.

I will update my profile as soon as I can. Using version 13 OS X

Thanks!

If you are sure that's what you want, create a new table named CardNumbers with only one field named CardNumber (Type: Number, Auto-enter: Serial number, starting at 1). Create as many records in this table as your largest collection will ever be.

Define a relationship between the Collections table and CardNumbers table as:

Collections::TOTAL CARDS ≥ CardNumbers::CardNumber

Define a value list using values from CardNumbers::CardNumber, show only related values starting from Collections. Use this value list for your checkbox field.

Use the ValueCount() function to count the checked values.

• Like 1

This topic is 3419 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.